A natural immersion in the heart of Greenville
This hotel stretches almost into the splurge category, but imagine a luxe hunting lodge set high in the Bernese Alps, with antler chandeliers, stone fireplaces, and rooms carved out of a stone cliff atop a waterfall. Now take that lodge, add a heavy dose of twenty-first century chic, and place it right in the heart of downtown Greenville, South Carolina. That’s the urban mountain scene you’ll find inside the Grand Bohemian Lodge, one of the more impressive new American hotels.
The 187-room property sits inside Greenvillle’s lush Falls Park, upon cascading waterfalls along the Reedy River. High, beamed ceilings and animal-inspired art fill the lobby, and floor-to-ceiling windows look out on the wilderness beyond. A tall, stone fireplace anchors the common area, leading to a long back porch with heated stone seats. The hotel immerses you in urban greenspace and you may momentarily forget you’re less than 10 minutes’ walk from the heart of downtown Greenville. Even so, with an art gallery and upscale restaurant onsite, you can take in the city’s culture without ever stepping outside the hotel property.
Perfectly situated between downtown and West Greenville
Greenville’s Falls Park on the Reedy is one of America’s great examples of urban green space. The Grand Bohemian Lodge sits inside the park full of ascending paths beckoning you to go for a morning run. Just across Greenville’s iconic Liberty Bridge you’ll find one of the country’s best small city downtowns and plenty of fun things to explore. Here’s what you can do in the area:
- Savor some of the best Southern food in the nation. Top chefs priced out of Charleston have opened up shop here, and indulging in a meal at Soby’s, Roost, Husk, or Tupelo Honey is never a waste of calories. All are within about 10 minutes’ walk.
- Rent a bike at Reedy Rides and hop on the Swamp Rabbit Trail. The rails-to-trails path runs past the city’s sleek new food hall, The Commons, and into the charming town of Travelers Rest. On your way back, stop for a beer in the sunny backyard at Southernside Brewing.
- Stroll through one of America’s best walkable downtowns, stopping for a Mead tasting at Savannah Bee, then perusing the quirky gifts and clothes at Mast General Store.
- Browse hundreds of titles while sipping beer, wine or coffee at M. Judson Booksellers. It’s just across the Liberty Bridge from the Lodge.
- Wander the historic streets of West Greenville. It’s become almost a second downtown for the city, and has spots like the French bakery at Old Europe Coffee and Desserts and the wine bar at Foxcroft.
- Pair chocolate and whiskey at LaRue Fine Chocolates. The truffle masters have select pairings with bourbon that’re one of the city’s top indulgences. It’s less than ten minutes by car.
#GrandBohemianGreenville on Instagram
Cozy rooms steeped in modern luxury
While the views and setting are the big draws at the Grand Bohemian Lodge, the guest rooms fit the motif seamlessly. They do skew a little small, and aren’t ideal for lounging in the room all day, but they are warm and welcoming with nature-inspired art on the walls, and big, green floating headboards.
The Grand Bohemian’s guest rooms fall into the following categories:
- King and Double Queen City View – Starting at 375 square feet, these rooms are the lodge’s entry level offerings. Each comes with marble bathrooms and walk-in showers. The floor-to-ceiling windows look out over West Greenville, and you’ll have plenty of storage space with a closet and two large-drawer end tables.
- King and Double Queen Falls View – Effectively the same rooms as the City View, but with views out over the park and waterfalls. A select few sit one floor below the lobby, and are carved into stone archways on the side of the cliff. It’s as close to the Amalfi Coast as you’re getting in South Carolina.
- Corner Junior Suite – This smaller suite’s biggest attraction is the soaking tub with views of the waterfalls. At 600 square feet, it is probably the best premium room at the price.
- King Suite – The Grand Bohemian’s suites are nearly double the size of the standard rooms, clocking in at 700 square feet. You’ll get a King bed plus a full living room with a fold out sofa and seating area. The spacious decks also have matching Adirondack chairs, perfect for enjoying a drink by the waterfall.
- Vice Presidential and Presidential Suites – These suites have between 900 and 1,360 square feet of space, a full living room with pull-out couch, and a soaking tub with views of Falls Park. You’ll also get double vanities, a private balcony, and a table for six people, ideal for business meetings or late-night entertaining.
- Liberty Loft – The most unique room at the Grand Bohemian Lodge is the two-level Liberty Loft spread out among 1,100 square feet. It has the largest views of Falls Park, though the bathroom only has a walk-in marble shower.
Bars and restaurants fusing the Carolinas with mountain lodges
The lobby at the Grand Bohemian Lodge feels like an amenity unto itself. You can wander through modern art and set up for work at a long, tree-carved table. As far as formal amenities go, here’s what the lodge has:
The lodge’s signature restaurant is set – as the name might imply – literally among the Falls Park treetops. You’ll find local twists on traditional lodge cuisine, with dishes like grilled elk loin with Carolina mustard glaze, Chattooga rainbow trout, and Carolina Bison tenderloin topping the menu. Large booths make it a convivial space, ideal for groups and special occasions. Lastly, the wine list lives up to the creative and unusual cuisine.
If you’re looking for fine cocktails, Spirit and Bauer can make a case for the best ones in the city. Armed with a collection of rare bourbons and whiskeys, the onsite cocktail lounge does equally impressive stuff with tequila and gin too. Try the Golden Rule: a magical mixture of Blanco tequila, passionfruit and grapefruit.
You can start winding your day down at 3 pm daily at the Grand Bohemian Lodge’s lobby bar with sparkling wine, charcuterie, and fine cheeses. If it’s cold out, warm up by the epic stone fireplace with your drink of choice. And if the weather is cooperating, the balcony offers stunning views over Falls Park.
Inside the lobby you’ll find the Grand Bohemian Gallery, where you can peruse works from both local and international artists and give a little culture to your visit. Everything here is for sale, too; so if something piques your interest, you can take home a conversation-piece souvenir.
On the floor beneath the lobby, just down from the cliffside rooms, you’ll find the Poseidon spa. It offers all the traditional treatments like massage, hydrafacials, and exfoliations, all available by appointment.
The fitness center sits just off the spa on the level below the lobby. Views from the treadmills are some of the best in American hotel gyms:you run in place head-on into the waterfalls. You’ll also find Peloton bikes as well as full racks of dumb bells and a cable machine.
Valet parking is available for $25 per night.
#GrandBohemianHotelGreenville on TikTok